Podcast: We Put the Cult in Culture
Do you work for a company or a cult?
The idea is simple: attract energetic, young college graduates with the promise of fulfilling their wildest dreams and desires. Grown-up playgrounds for offices. Free food! The opportunity to change the world while playing beer-pong! Kind of low pay. Heaps of reassuring praise. Very long hours. Office keg parties: that are mandatory! Brilliant managers! Whose wisdom is never to be questioned. Super cool coworkers who share your love for the company. Because those who didn’t just…vanished one day.
Join us as we discuss this niche cultural trend that has emerged over the last two decades. Also, learn how to join our new Busybody cult! (Electric hoodies required)
Episode “sponsor”: Golden Calf Consulting
Links, people and products mentioned in this episode:
- 0:51 – Can You Tell the Difference Between a Cult and Your Startup?
- 5:01 – Dr. Christina Villarreal
- 1:10 – Margaret Singer – Wikipedia
- 1:20 – Dan Lyons
- 1:45 – Disrupted: My Misadventure in the Start-Up …
- 2:34 – Silicon Valley
- 4:22 – Paul’s Heated Hoodie
- 7:40 – Michael Porter
- 10:28 – Theranos – Wikipedia
- 14:27 – You Should Run Your Startup Like a Cult. Here’s How. | WIRED
- 20:09 – Foundering Season 1: The WeWork Story
- The Stanford Prison Experiment
- Philip Zimbardo
- 24:46 – Startup Culture: Why Do Some Millennial-Led Startups Have Toxic Cultures? | HR Technologist
- 26:47 – Jim Collins: Getting Your Core Values Right (on Mars!)
- 35:02 – Steve Jobs on Hiring A-Players
Please rate and subscribe/follow our podcast. Join the Busybody family and share your ideas or workplace experiences with us, or if you have a topic you would like for us to cover, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or tweet us @busynessparadox. Share with friends or colleagues that you think will be interested in the topics we cover.